Today I’ve rounded up some things I’ve really been enjoying in August that I’d like to share with you. Some of these I’ve found on-line while I browse around the internet and some of these are tips from family and friends.
My favourite things
- Green tea, lime slices, ice cubes, and filtered water. Let the tea bag infuse in the water as you drink and refill with water as needed leaving the tea bag in. It makes drinking water throughout the day more palatable if you’re not super thirsty and I find it really refreshing. Check out my post with pictures here. This idea is from my coworkers who are drinking water like this throughout the shift at work, but, most of them are using lemon slices. I prefer the lime.
- Watching Tati on YouTube. She does excellent makeup reviews. I love hearing about other people’s experiences with products. It’s so helpful when I’m on the hunt for something and I’m undecided as to which brand to buy.
- Watching Melissa on YouTube. She’s a beautiful southern lady with great style. She’s how shall I say this… more my age and not one of the super young ones that YouTube is flooded with. She talks about skin care, makeup, clothes, hair, and all kinds of other things. I don’t know, but, I just find her nice to listen to.
- I’ve learned a great way to put mascara on so it actually builds volume and length without clumping. Some of the information I learned from GossMakeupArtist on YouTube and other tips on mascara application I read about or found on other YouTube channels. This is how I’ve been doing it lately and it’s made a huge difference in how it all turns out: first make sure the mascara brush isn’t over-loaded with mascara and if it is either wipe some back onto the edge of the mascara tube, or wipe the wand off on a tissue. Apply one coat of mascara to top eyelashes after you have curled them. Now wait at least ten seconds for this coat to start drying, after the ten seconds or so apply another coat of mascara to the to the top lashes. Keep going like this until you have the desired affect. Allowing the mascara to dry slightly prevents globs of mascara from forming and it allows each lash to really build volume and length. As the Goss Makeup Artist says in his video he can apply up to fifteen coats if needed and it looks good. Why was I only applying two or three coats max?? Once your top coat is done and dry apply mascara to your bottom lashes using the same technique. Giving the top coat a chance to dry ensures the lashes don’t smudge on your top lid while you’re applying the mascara to the bottom lashes. This little trick has made a world of difference for me. I never even used to bother with the bottom lashes, but, now I love applying mascara and it actually looks good!
- Cutting the end off a tube of product. This way you get every last bit out and not throw away good stuff! Duh! I don’t know why I haven’t been doing this before. I would always squeeze the heck out of a tube to get what I thought was every last bit, but, now that I cut the end off and can actually get in there I realize I’ve been throwing out a lot! I have a tube of foundation that I couldn’t squeeze anything more out of weeks ago, but, since I cut the tube in half I have been able to still use it. There was way more in the sides of the tube that I definitely would have wasted! Not any more! I keep the cut open tubes in a ziplock bag until finished up.
- Carry dental picks to make sure no food is stuck between my teeth and cause an embarrassing moment. This product was recommended to me by my sister Liisa. She’s always passing me one after we have dinner out somewhere
- Cashew cheese! I never knew it was so good! Now I’m on the search for recipes. I had my first taste of it this past weekend in a nice restaurant in Naramata. My friend and I ordered a vegan appy tray and wow was it good!
- Almond milk whisked to a foam and poured over coffee. Reminds me of a latte and is so delicious. My sister Mary came over for coffee after we went on a short hike and she’s the one who suggested I try this. I never knew it was so easy and tasted so good. The recipe and directions coming soon!
So, that kind of covers it for now. I hope you are enjoying a great long weekend and let’s hope September is going to be a great month!
By the way the burn on my hand has finally healed enough that I was able to go to work last week. It took seven days for me to be able to use my right hand without the risk of opening up the wound again. That one was a doozy!!
I’ll talk to you soon,